Our History

In 1929, the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph, an order of Catholic Sisters from Canada were invited to New London to operate the 13-bed hospital. Three religious sisters were sent. In 1931, the Sisters built and operated a new 51-bed hospital known as New London Community Hospital.

By April of 1967, the demand for both nursing home and hospital beds had outgrown the hospital’s ability to house both. The idea occurred to purchase the never-opened Clara Nee Nursing Home of Division Street. In June of 1967, the deed was turned over to the Sisters and the name was changed to St. Joseph Residence, Inc.  On July 19, 1967, thirty eight patients were transferred from the New London Community Hospital to St. Joseph Residence.

In 1975, ownership of the hospital was transferred to the citizens of New London.

In the summer of 1988, construction of the administrative wing, chapel and activity room began along with an extensive remodeling of the original nursing home to accommodate up to 107 residents.

Also in 1988, the original 10 Marian Heights Independent Living apartments were constructed alongside the administrative wing of SJR. In 1994, Marian Heights was expanded to a total of 26 independent senior living apartments.

In October 1995, our 16-bed “Community Based Residential Facility” (CBRF), Trinity Terrace, was built adjacent to St. Joseph Residence.  In 1997, another wing and 16 additional CBRF beds were added.

In 2004, the old Washington High School building on the corner of Washington and Dickinson Streets was extensively remodeled to become The Washington Center. The Chatham Apartments at The Washington Center is a 33-apartment assisted living “Residential Care Apartment Complex” (RCAC).